Sandy Hill is a neighbourhood of many facets and this website will provide residents and visitors with information to fully enjoy this eclectic and exciting quarter.
This site will equally be a “listings” home for the many events held locally including Art in The Park, Dusk Dances, Jane Walks, Yoga classes, ASH meetings, Community days, garage sales and more.
The current site will be developed, and lay-out rapidly improved, but for now we leave you with some Sandy Hill stats rather than an Under Construction place holder. Welcome and enjoy!
People – over 10 000 strong
- 12,451 (2011 census). A bilingual neighbourhood with an eclectic mix of families, professionals– from Ambassadors through Chefs – and students.
Incredible Public Transport – Get Anywhere in Ottawa Car-free
- The Transit Way at Ottawa University (Laurier & Campus stops) or the Rideau Centre (Mackenzie King stop) provide over 50 bus options
- 5 & 16 running off Laurier Avenue
- 7, 12, 14 & 18 on Rideau Street
- Multiple VrtuCar car-sharing sites
Bike Paths & Walking – Minutes to Centretown, The Market & Beyond
Sandy Hill is a community that embraces walking and cycling due to the easy access of this neighbourhood to schools, shops and amenities from Rideau St, the Byward Market, Rideau Centre, Elgin street/Centretown and Vanier. On foot or by bike these neighbourhood are mere moments away whilst further biking to Westboro beach, the Old Ottawa South farmer’s market and beyond is a cinch on two-wheels.
- Rideau Canal bike paths can be accessed via Ottawa University & the pedestrian/bike Corkstowne Bridge
- Rideau River Bike Paths are accessed via Strathcona Park
- Stewart Street has a dedicated west-bound bike path
- Wilbrod has a dedicated east-bound bike path
Parks: (# square feet of green space) Sandy Hill is a green neighbourhood with elegant old trees lining the streets and beautiful parks and community gardens.
- Strathcona Park runs along the Rideau River at the east end of Sandy Hill. A beautiful expansive oasis with a sparkling fountain on the crest where park meets Laurier Avenue. Strathcona is home to art and theatre events in the Summer months (Odyssey Theatre, Dusk Dances, Art in the Park, Rag and Bone and more). Has gothic ruins to climb and two play structures , 2 wading pools (Strathcona Park & Dutchy’s Hole)and great tobogganing in the winter months. One of Ottawa’s premiere parks it meets every comer’s needs.
- Dutchy’s Hole and Robinson’s Field – often considered part of Strathcona Park these two green spaces are located at the southern end of Strathcona and joined up by the pedestrian cycling path along the river. Dutchy’s Hole has playstructures, a great dog entrance to the river, a wading pool and is home to the Sandy Hill Community Garden. Robinson’s field is, as the name indicates, a very large playfield with lots of green space for sun worshiper’s, book readers and dog-walkers. Robinson’s Field also houses the Strathcona Heights’ Community Garden.
- St Germain Park – nestled next to the Sandy Hill Community centre at the South Western tip of Sandy Hill where King Edward meets Mann Avenue this park is perfect for active Sandy Hill residents. A play field, dog park, extensive new climbing facilities and a wading pool are some of St Germain’s key features. In the winter a well maintained outdoor rink is located on the playing field and they even have a small ice-run for new skaters.
- Chapel Street Splash Park – A small shady park between Rideau and Laurier the Chapel street park is an ever popular destination for water play, relaxation and picnics.
Businesses & Services: Sandy Hill is spoiled for services, eateries, and coffeeshops. For a complete listing see our comprehensive Business Directory.
Embassies – The elegant tree-lined neighbourhood is home to over 30 embassies. From Albania, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Egypt, Switzerland, Tanzania and so many more the international flavour of Sandy Hill is undeniable! See a complete list of embassies here.
- University of Ottawa
- Le Cordon Bleu – Culinary Arts Institute
- Ecole FrancoJeunesse
- Viscount Alexander Public School
- Bettye Hyde Daycare & After-School Care
- Wilbrod Daycare
Come and visit us again soon as the information and events on this site grow and flourish. Live your Sandy Hill Seen (sic) to the full!